Is there a greater
sight at sea as a pod of
dolphins - talk to us.
10 DOLPHIN FACTS
- Dolphins are the second most intelligent animals on the planet after humans.
- Scientists believe that 50 million years ago dolphins were four-legged land animals – hard to imagine now with their prowess in the sea.
- Baby calves stay with their mother for 3 – 6 years and build a special bond.
- Dolphins live in pods of 20 to 30 although there are pods of 1,000 which are called superpods.
- They appear to have their own language, but scientists are not in agreement over whether this is true or not. However they do communicate by clicking noises and whistles.
- Dolphins have their special whistle, a name that is given to them by other dolphins. It is thought they keep that name for their 20 year life span.
- Female dolphins have a clitoris and have sex for enjoyment as well as producing calves!
- Although dolphins have lots of teeth, they swallow their food whole.
- Unlike humans they only sleep for 15-20 minutes at a time throughout day and night, resting only half their brain at a time so they remember to breathe through their blow hole.
- It has been proved that dolphins feel empathy and altruism towards each other and they will look after a sick or injured dolphin. They also extend these feelings to members of other species too.
Fascinating creatures aren’t they? Carolyn❤